Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Interview with Lazy Dayz Primitives

1-14-2007
An interview with CPV and Lazy Dayz Primitives Owner - Lucy

How long have you been in business? I've been making dolls professionally since 1980. I began making primitives in 2002

How long have you been crafting and what kind of crafty items do you make? I've always crafted. My Dad gave me a chain stitch sewing machine when I was 4. I started sewing then. By the time I was 8, I'd crocheted my first rag rug, hand pieced my first quilt top, tied a quilt with my mother's help and my Daddy got me a treadle sewing machinefor my birthday and Mom helped me make my first blouse..... I've also made wooden benches, shelves and decorative items, knitted sweaters, crocheted doilies and afgans, upholstered chairs, and finished an attic bedroom by myself,

Who inspired you to start crafting and how old were you? My mother believed idle children go in trouble so she kept us busy. There was never a time when I didn't do some sort of crafting.

Do you have formal training? Not exactly. I learned initially from watching my mom. I joined 4-H where I took up dressmaking, and I took every home economics course offered in high school. Beyond those--I've learned from books and by trial and error.

What's the best part of having your own business? The freedom to choose my work hours even though there are far more of them than in a job away from home.

Advice for someone trying to build their own business: Believe in yourself and believe in your dreams. If you love what you do and do what you love, everything else works out.

What are your future goals for your business? I want to add lots more finished dolls as well as lots more patterns. I expect to keep growing.

What do you make/what’s your craft of choice? I make a huge variety of primitive and folk art dolls, critters, stitcheries and design patterns so others can make dolls similar to mine. Primitive and folk art dolls are my favorite. There are endless possiblilities of styles, sizes, shapes and colors; and that stimulates my imagination.

How did you get started with your craft? Oh wow--when I started sewing, I made clothing for my dolls. When I was 7 I got a book at school with instructions for a stuffed dog made from a sock. My mother wasn't happy that I used one of Dad's socks but it turned out really well. In 1980 when a friend suggested I do a craft show, dolls seemed like something not many people would make themselves so that's where I started..

What inspires you? Everything.

What’s been the most rewarding aspect of your craft? I love to make people smile and I know my dolls do that!

Are there any trends in crafting you've been noticing lately? Scrapbooking but I prefer to work with fibers. Do you have a favorite? My sewing

When do you find the time to craft?
Always--I get up between 4:30 and 6:00 AM and start sewing before breakfast. I sew most of the day and I sew in the evenings after supper. Did I mention I love to sew?

What advice would you give to newbies who want to start their own craft business? Believe in yourself. And learn to do the difficult things yourself...you'll be so proud of your accomplishment. Above all, take pride in what you do!

No comments: